Why see a Diplomate?
Carol W. Stevens D.D.S., M.B.A., a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology, is a Board Certified Periodontist who has made significant achievements beyond the mandatory educational requirements of the specialty of periodontics. Dr. Stevens was awarded the honor of Diplomate on April 10, 1992.
The significance of Board Certification lies beyond achieving the approval of that panel of experts. It lies also in the inner motivation for continual professional development and in the knowledge and skills that are gained from the continued critical review of the results of one’s own efforts.
To be educationally qualified for Board certification requires:
- Certification as a dentist, including basic college education and completion of four years of dental school to earn the DDS or DMD degree and;
- Certification as a periodontist after at least two years of postdoctoral study in an American Dental Association approved program that concentrates on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of periodontal disease.
In addition to the educational requirements, Board certification requires:
- At least four years of actual experience in the clinical practice of periodontics.
- Comprehensive oral and written examinations covering all phases of periodontal disease and its treatment, including dental implants.
- Presentation of detailed reports on a broad range of actual treatment personally provided by the candidate.
What this means to you as a patient:
- Carol W. Stevens D.D.S., M.B.A is a professional who has taken the time and effort to prove, before a panel of internationally respected peers, that she is competent enough to hold the specialties highest honor of Diplomate.
- By successfully completing the examination process, Carol W. Stevens D.D.S., M.B.A has demonstrated motivation for continued professional development, self evaluation, and to provide the best, up to date professional care.
Port Charlotte Dentist: What is The American Board of Periodontology?
The American Board of Periodontology was founded in 1939 to elevate the standards and advance the science and art of periodontology by encouraging its study and advancing its practice. It is officially the oldest American Dental Association recognized specialty board and is the only national certifying board in the dental specialty of periodontics.
For over fifty years the Board has served the public and profession by:
- Creating and administering a certification process to identify experts in the field of periodontics
- Creating and administering a re-certification process to maintain expertise
- Granting and issuing Diplomate certificates to certified experts
- Furnishing, on request, to patients, insurance consultants and hospital administrators, a list of Board Certified Diplomates